Thursday, July 12, 2007

Some Recent Purchases

Ok, I must be totally hooked (or re-hooked) so to speak because I’m spending money like a drunken sailor.

First, after flicking a couple of those ugly and filthy little piece of crap ticks off my legs I decided to get me some good, quality waders.

I did some light research and decided that Cabela’s Guide Tech Dry Plus Bootfoot was likely the best value keeping in mind that with my rough skills at wading and hiking, I would likely put some substantial ware on them.

I can beat them up real good and if they eventually rip beyond what I can repair, they weren’t so expensive that I would feel bad about junking them and getting a new pair.

So far the waders are really great. They are light and have a built in pouch which still fits with my want of travelling light.

Also, I got a couple of pieces of Cabela’s Bug Skinz clothing… a shirt and a hood to be exact and I have to say… this stuff is really great.

It really is like having another, mosquito proof, layer of skin. It’s adds no heat… and wicks away sweat so you don’t even know it’s there and you can simple wear your normal cloths over the top of it.

No more bug spray!


Finally, I just came back from a trip up to Maine and while I was there, I stopped by at LL Bean in Freeport , and I was simply compelled to get a complete salt water/salmon fishing fly rod and reel setup!

I got their Streamlight outfit including a 9 foot 8 weight Streamlight rod, a Streamlight Large Arbor Real, Streamlight line and a hard travel case for $199!

I know this is probably a starter quality rod-reel combo but I have never done any salt water fly fishing so I doubt I could tell the difference in rod quality not to mention that I have only ever used my cheapo Cortland fly rod for Trout fishing so I’m not very picky.


While I was at it, I picked up a stripping basket and a whole bunch of nice saltwater flies as well.

I haven’t even gotten a chance to use the salt water setup which hopefully I’ll do in the next few days when I go chasing some Strippers… Ill report back any good or bad news.

Well, I better get back to work so I can pay for some of this splurging!

No comments: